This is the post excerpt.
Saturday 23rd February 2019 in Birmingham, UK
shiMMer tickets now on sale! Please click on the link below to make your purchase.
There is also an option to buy Saturday night shiMMer dinner tickets. *Please note places for the dinner are limited and can only be bought with an entry ticket*. Hotel details also included.
Can’t wait to welcome you to the shiMMer family!
❤️ This year, shiMMer has chosen 2 very worthy charities to support. One is a bereavement charity, THE COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS, and the other is MERMAIDS which supports trans-gender youth. Both charities are very close to our hearts and we hope that, like last year, you will give generously. All raffle prize money will be split between the two organisations. Many of our authors have already donated fantastic prizes – so we hope to exceed last year’s collection of over £500.❤️
MERMAIDS – EMBRACE. EMPOWER. EDUCATE.
· Work to raise awareness about gender nonconformity in children and young people
· Reduce isolation and loneliness for gender variant and transgender children, young people and their families.
· Empower families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate the education and health services.
· Reduce suicidality and self-harm in the young people who contact Mermaids, equip their parents to support their children to the same end.
· Improve self-esteem and social functioning in gender variant and transgender children, young people.
· Improve awareness, understanding and practices of GP’s, CAMHS, Social Services and other professionals.
For more information on all aspects of their support and work for trans-gender youth, please go to their website www.mermaidsuk.org.uk
THE COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS – SUPPORTING BEREAVED PARENTS AND FAMILIES
The Compassionate Friends (TCF) is a charitable organisation of bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents dedicated to the support and care of other similarly bereaved family members who have suffered the death of a child or children of any age and from any cause.
· Many people who have suffered the loss of a child feel a bond with others in the same situation and wish to extend the hand of friendship. We offer support, both directly to bereaved families, and indirectly by fostering understanding and good practice amongst professionals concerned with child death and by increasing public awareness.
· In TCF, “family” covers a broad spectrum of relationships. We aim to help any individual or family affected by the death of a child, including unmarried partners, adoptive parents, step families, same sex couples and single parent families.
· TCF has no religious affiliation and offers support to bereaved families irrespective of the age of the child, cause of death, ethnic, social or political background.
· We respect the privacy of all those who come to us for support and offer a confidential service.
We do seem to cause chaos wherever we go! After being politely presented with the bill at Pizza Hut, we tumbled out onto the Strand…The good people of Paperchase and Accessorize were our next victims! Lol – we did have a great laugh!
Team shiMMer are thrilled that to of our accomplished authors, Tim and David, will be discussing diversity within the MM genre and the wider LGBTQ+ community. A break out session, not to be missed.
‼️Re shiMMer UKMM author signing 23.2.19‼️
In light of the recent blog post about the fetishisation of gay men from a renowned MM author, and the subsequent furore in response, Team shiMMer would like to reiterate that EVERYONE is welcome to Birmingham next February.
To be clear – we will not tolerate any offensive or insulting behaviour from authors and readers alike. Anyone doing so will be uninvited.
shiMMer is billed as an adult event, and therefore many boundaries and curiosities are explored within the safe confines of the event.
Primarily, shiMMer is a fun event designed to showcase MM authors and their work, regardless of trope. We will tolerate no bias or bigotry in any form. 💕🏳️🌈💕
💫Team shiMMer are so excited to announce our Break Out Sessions for shiMMer MM UK 2019.💫
We have 3 completely diverse sets planned for you, so far.
• Bestselling authors, T.a. McKay and JJ Harper will be holding a panel and discussing the many aspects to authoring. Apart from being beautiful, successful and thoroughly engaging, they are also hilarious when they get together! This one is not to be missed.
• TJ Masters is a well-known figure in the MM book genre. He is a successful published Dreamspinners author, and is one of the organisers of EPC. TJ is also a BDSM lifestyle coach and one of the most interesting people you will ever hear speak. His natural charm and entertaining demeanour is sure to delight. We welcome TJ back to shiMMer with open arms!
• Mickey Taylor – face of Books Laid Bare Boys and shiMMer special guest, will be asked all the questions by his friend, Gabriel Phoenix. Mickey is an accomplished singer, songwriter, model and author. He also has his own clothing line called Treason. Gabriel, also a model, featured in Mickey’s video for the song All Day, highlighting the fantastic chemistry between them. We can’t wait to hear their banter!
The Break Out Sessions are open to everyone over the age of 18, at no extra cost to your ticket price.
Don’t miss out on this rare opportunity to be up close and personal with five of the loveliest people we know!
Book your shiMMer ticket now! http://bit.ly/2DFasKd Please click on the link to make your purchase. There is also an option to buy Saturday night shiMMer dinner tickets with entertainer Vivienne Lynsey. Hotel details also included.
shiMMer MM Author Event – Saturday 23rd Feb 2019 in Birmingham, UK www.shimmeruk.org