❤️ This year, shiMMer has chosen 2 very worthy charities to support. One is a bereavement charity, THE COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS, and the other is MERMAIDS which supports trans-gender youth. Both charities are very close to our hearts and we hope that, like last year, you will give generously. All raffle prize money will be split between the two organisations. Many of our authors have already donated fantastic prizes – so we hope to exceed last year’s collection of over £500.❤️
MERMAIDS – EMBRACE. EMPOWER. EDUCATE.
· Work to raise awareness about gender nonconformity in children and young people
· Reduce isolation and loneliness for gender variant and transgender children, young people and their families.
· Empower families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate the education and health services.
· Reduce suicidality and self-harm in the young people who contact Mermaids, equip their parents to support their children to the same end.
· Improve self-esteem and social functioning in gender variant and transgender children, young people.
· Improve awareness, understanding and practices of GP’s, CAMHS, Social Services and other professionals.
For more information on all aspects of their support and work for trans-gender youth, please go to their website www.mermaidsuk.org.uk
THE COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS – SUPPORTING BEREAVED PARENTS AND FAMILIES
The Compassionate Friends (TCF) is a charitable organisation of bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents dedicated to the support and care of other similarly bereaved family members who have suffered the death of a child or children of any age and from any cause.
· Many people who have suffered the loss of a child feel a bond with others in the same situation and wish to extend the hand of friendship. We offer support, both directly to bereaved families, and indirectly by fostering understanding and good practice amongst professionals concerned with child death and by increasing public awareness.
· In TCF, “family” covers a broad spectrum of relationships. We aim to help any individual or family affected by the death of a child, including unmarried partners, adoptive parents, step families, same sex couples and single parent families.
· TCF has no religious affiliation and offers support to bereaved families irrespective of the age of the child, cause of death, ethnic, social or political background.
· We respect the privacy of all those who come to us for support and offer a confidential service.
We do seem to cause chaos wherever we go! After being politely presented with the bill at Pizza Hut, we tumbled out onto the Strand…The good people of Paperchase and Accessorize were our next victims! Lol – we did have a great laugh!
Team shiMMer are thrilled that to of our accomplished authors, Tim and David, will be discussing diversity within the MM genre and the wider LGBTQ+ community. A break out session, not to be missed.