❤️ This year, shiMMer has chosen 2 very worthy charities to support. One is a bereavement charity, THE COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS, and the other is MERMAIDS which supports trans-gender youth. Both charities are very close to our hearts and we hope that, like last year, you will give generously. All raffle prize money will be split between the two organisations. Many of our authors have already donated fantastic prizes – so we hope to exceed last year’s collection of over £500.❤️
MERMAIDS – EMBRACE. EMPOWER. EDUCATE.
· Work to raise awareness about gender nonconformity in children and young people
· Reduce isolation and loneliness for gender variant and transgender children, young people and their families.
· Empower families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate the education and health services.
· Reduce suicidality and self-harm in the young people who contact Mermaids, equip their parents to support their children to the same end.
· Improve self-esteem and social functioning in gender variant and transgender children, young people.
· Improve awareness, understanding and practices of GP’s, CAMHS, Social Services and other professionals.
For more information on all aspects of their support and work for trans-gender youth, please go to their website www.mermaidsuk.org.uk
THE COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS – SUPPORTING BEREAVED PARENTS AND FAMILIES
The Compassionate Friends (TCF) is a charitable organisation of bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents dedicated to the support and care of other similarly bereaved family members who have suffered the death of a child or children of any age and from any cause.
· Many people who have suffered the loss of a child feel a bond with others in the same situation and wish to extend the hand of friendship. We offer support, both directly to bereaved families, and indirectly by fostering understanding and good practice amongst professionals concerned with child death and by increasing public awareness.
· In TCF, “family” covers a broad spectrum of relationships. We aim to help any individual or family affected by the death of a child, including unmarried partners, adoptive parents, step families, same sex couples and single parent families.
· TCF has no religious affiliation and offers support to bereaved families irrespective of the age of the child, cause of death, ethnic, social or political background.
· We respect the privacy of all those who come to us for support and offer a confidential service.
We do seem to cause chaos wherever we go! After being politely presented with the bill at Pizza Hut, we tumbled out onto the Strand…The good people of Paperchase and Accessorize were our next victims! Lol – we did have a great laugh!
Team shiMMer are thrilled that to of our accomplished authors, Tim and David, will be discussing diversity within the MM genre and the wider LGBTQ+ community. A break out session, not to be missed.
‼️Re shiMMer UKMM author signing 23.2.19‼️
In light of the recent blog post about the fetishisation of gay men from a renowned MM author, and the subsequent furore in response, Team shiMMer would like to reiterate that EVERYONE is welcome to Birmingham next February.
To be clear – we will not tolerate any offensive or insulting behaviour from authors and readers alike. Anyone doing so will be uninvited.
shiMMer is billed as an adult event, and therefore many boundaries and curiosities are explored within the safe confines of the event.
Primarily, shiMMer is a fun event designed to showcase MM authors and their work, regardless of trope. We will tolerate no bias or bigotry in any form. 💕🏳️🌈💕
💫Team shiMMer are so excited to announce our Break Out Sessions for shiMMer MM UK 2019.💫
We have 3 completely diverse sets planned for you, so far.
• Bestselling authors, T.a. McKay and JJ Harper will be holding a panel and discussing the many aspects to authoring. Apart from being beautiful, successful and thoroughly engaging, they are also hilarious when they get together! This one is not to be missed.
• TJ Masters is a well-known figure in the MM book genre. He is a successful published Dreamspinners author, and is one of the organisers of EPC. TJ is also a BDSM lifestyle coach and one of the most interesting people you will ever hear speak. His natural charm and entertaining demeanour is sure to delight. We welcome TJ back to shiMMer with open arms!
• Mickey Taylor – face of Books Laid Bare Boys and shiMMer special guest, will be asked all the questions by his friend, Gabriel Phoenix. Mickey is an accomplished singer, songwriter, model and author. He also has his own clothing line called Treason. Gabriel, also a model, featured in Mickey’s video for the song All Day, highlighting the fantastic chemistry between them. We can’t wait to hear their banter!
The Break Out Sessions are open to everyone over the age of 18, at no extra cost to your ticket price.
Don’t miss out on this rare opportunity to be up close and personal with five of the loveliest people we know!
Book your shiMMer ticket now! http://bit.ly/2DFasKd Please click on the link to make your purchase. There is also an option to buy Saturday night shiMMer dinner tickets with entertainer Vivienne Lynsey. Hotel details also included.
shiMMer MM Author Event – Saturday 23rd Feb 2019 in Birmingham, UK www.shimmeruk.org
🎉💋🌟shiMMer Dinner evening entertainment stars the amazing VIVIENNE LYNSEY 🌟💋🎉
LIMITED PLACES, SO BOOK NOW! You won’t want to miss out….
Drawing upon her degree from the prestigious Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance, Vivienne brings a classic air to all her performances, singing modern chart topping and classic numbers with a jazz twist.
Coupled with a classic, vintage look, Vivienne prides herself on a well polished, highly fashionable look that only adds to her performance.
Vivienne has also graced the TV with appearances on shows such as, Come Dine With Me, The Real Housewives of Cheshire and a national advertising campaign for Kelloggs Cornflakes #PerfectBowl
A finalist in the Rupaul UK Drag race ambassador competition, Vivienne has performed at venues across the UK and Europe. From London where she has performed at venues including but not restricted to Two Brewers, Her Upstairs, Eagle London and Central Station. To her home-town of Manchester where her talents have seen her performing at LGBT+ venues such as Via, Eagle bar Manchester and her current residency at Oscars Showbar where she is the first drag artist to ever perform there, also in Manchester she has performed at Abode, Albert Schloss and Menagerie Restaurant and Bar.
Her amazing talent and ability to command an audience without the need for crass or vulgar jokes, Vivienne brings a classic and professional performance to every venue.
For bookings please email email@example.com
Meet the shiMMer Team…..
Carol, Sue and Fiona
I’m Carol and as owner and founder of the Books Laid Bare blog, I have a passion for words that shows no signs of abating and a kindle library that is totally out of control.
Married for a timespan that my husband likes to describe it as “Lots”, we have two happy, settled adult children and two fabulous granddaughters, so I would have to say that in the scheme of things I feel truly blessed (well, most of the time I do!)
I work full time as a Facilities Manager for a Global Software provider and enjoy the fact that no two days are the same. I find that the pressures of the position means, that I have learnt to enjoy my free time and for me that means I am either buried in a book or pottering about on my blog…not a bad place to be really.
Primarily an MF reader, I have been gradually introduced into all things MM since meeting up with Suzanne, another third of the ShiMMer organising team and the woman in control of the Books Laid Bare Boys blog.
While our shared passion for books was the catalyst for our friendship in 2014, it wasn’t until 2016 that I began to work with Fiona… the Aramis to our Athos & Porthos (see I do read more than just Romance!) when we started the organisation of the first ShiMMer event, but I will say that I actually first met Fiona in 2013 when I attended my very first book signing in London … It’s funny how things work out!
Since being involved with the organisation of ShiMMer 2017, I have to say that I have been blown away by not only the fabulous authors, but also the readers that call MM home and getting to meet some of them in person last year was a privilege.
When it comes to ShiMMer, I may not be as visible as both Suzanne and Fiona on social media, rest assured that I am every bit as involved behind the scenes and come Feb 2019…you won’t be able to miss me!
Hi, my name’s Fiona. I have a hubby and two grown daughters. I am North West London, born and bred, but love to travel. I work practically full time and have a very active social life with family and friends. And then there’s this crazy, beautiful, amazing other part of my life – the book world. I started off reading MF and established myself as MF author, Jessie Courts, but once I discovered MM, all bets were off! I love it! It has brought so many fantastic people into my life; authors, readers, bloggers, models – it’s been an incredible journey so far. I guest review for Books Laid Bare Boys; make up one third of the shiMMer team, and write MM under the author name of Viva Gold. I am so looking forward to seeing everyone at shiMMer 2019, and despite all the ups and downs the MM book community has had recently, am still really proud to be part of it.
Hi, for those of you that don’t already know me, my name is Sue and I own and run Books Laid Bare Boys, the blog presenting shiMMer.
Married to my husband for almost 30 years, I have 3 beautiful children who support me in my mad endeavours. If you attended shiMMer last time, you would have met my 2 girls who were a fantastic support on the day.
For me, this part of my journey started with the Twilight conventions. I met so many new friends at these wonderful weekends and progressed to book signings from there. It was at a meet up for like minded literary lovers that I met Carol, one third of the team. We hit it off straight away and on one of our drunken weekends away we set up a page to run alongside the Books Laid Bare blog that Carol runs. Books Laid Bare Boys was born out of my love for men who love men and the passion I have for telling the world about them all.
I met Fiona, the other third of our team, at another signing and our shared love of all things male has resulted in some seriously fun weekends…..
Meeting the authors I love to read is an absolute pleasure so to be able to bring them all to you in a fabulously shiMMery package is something I can’t wait to do again.
See you all there…
The link to the AUTHOR SIGN UP Document, which includes all the information and PayPal details, can be found below:
Hopefully, you’ll come to the shiMMer dinner too on the Saturday Evening in the Hotel (details are in the doc). We’d love to see you there. (Separate Friday night event details to follow nearer the time).
PLACES ARE LIMITED SO DON’T DELAY!
shiMMer tickets now on sale! Please click on the link below to make your purchase. There is also an option to buy Saturday night shiMMer dinner tickets. *Please note places for the dinner are limited and can only be bought with an entry ticket*. Hotel details also included.
Can’t wait to welcome you to the shiMMer family!
Please visit our website for lots more shiMMer info www.shimmeruk.org